SWAMID does not offer support for SP or IdP software. The SWAMID operations team make recommendations based on our own experience. Such recommendations are not mandatory operational requirements.
The SWAMID WebSSO technology profile is based on saml2int. In order to support this deployment profile the software must be implemented to a matching implementation profile. Sometimes such an implementation profile is advertised and sometimes the customer buys a set of components that requires qualified support and implementation (often in the form of a managed service or a consultant service). The most closely matched implementation profile that matches saml2int is eGovt 2.0. The previous versions of eGovt are not closely related to saml2int.
Here are some advise based on the SWAMID operations team experience with deploying applications with federated identity.
- The OpenSource software options Shibboleth and Simple SAML php are often easiest to work and are by far the most capable options.
- Shibboleth assumes that you can either use either IIS or Apache as a frontend to your application.
- If you are using Java and want an OpenSource option, resist the temptation to try any of the native java libraries. Use Shibboleth.
- If your organization is operating a Windows environment then Microsoft ADFS2 may be an option but it will require much deeper knowledge of Windows products than is generally enough to operate a Windows service and unless your organization possesses this knowledge you may have to buy outside support.
- If your software is based on php then Simple SAML php may be a good option. Similarly pySAML2 may be well suited for a python-only application especially if you don't want to have to depend on Apache as a frontend.
Software known to work
The following identity provider and service provider software works well with SWAMID if correctly configured. If you want to add your software to the list please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be prepared to demonstrate that your software or service works well with SWAMID. This is not a full list by any means, it only represents the list of software with which there is experience in the SWAMID operations team.
The SWAMID operations team currently has most experience working with Shibboleth but all of the above are know to work if configured correctly which may be a more or less difficult task. The main opensource options (Shibboleth and SSP) are mostly correctly configured by default requiring only attribute definitions and metadata feeds to interoperate well with SWAMID.